Sunday, February 17, 2013
I am hoping to place exercise, tips and information relating to my practice as an osteopath. My first blog is on some simple advice on look after your back.
1. Exercise your back regularly. Walking, swimming (especially backstroke) and using exercise bikes are all excellent ways to strengthen your back muscles.
2. Always bend your knees and your hips, not your back.
3. Never twist and bend at the same time.
4. Always lift and carry objects close to your body.
5. Maintain a good posture. Avoid slumping in your chair, hunching over a desk or walking with your shoulders hunched.
6. Quit smoking.
7. Lose any excess weight.
8. Choose a mattress suited to your height, weight, age and sleeping position.